Updated: Mar 27
Today's blog is strictly for mild entertainment purposes only.. You will not learn anything useful or gain any great faith in humanity. Perhaps this will just be a guilty pleasure or 5 minutes of your life, you will want back...and before I get started...if you are new to my Blog or YouTube Channel...and enjoy this post or episode....before you leave, be sure to subscribe and I'll be sure to alert you to each new posting...
Now that that's out of the way...here are the 10 of the Most Controversial Things Ever Sold at Auction !
1) The Violin from the Titanic was offered at auction & brought $1.7m, controversial due to the fact The violin & its case were originally found strapped to the bandleader’s body, a float, just after the great tragedy in April of 1912. I believe it is still the highest price paid for a piece of Titanic Memorabilia.
2) The 1939 Alfa Romeo of Benito Mussolini was sold for $2.1 Million at RM Auctions a few years back...the infamous and gorgeous vehicle was the dictators attempted escape vehicle back in 1945. Attempted as he and his mistress were captured and shot.
3) Lee Harvey Oswald’s Wedding Ring realized $118,000 at RR Auction back in 2013...JFK's infamous assassins ring was sold in 2013. It had been consigned by his late wife who had only recently recovered it in 2004 from their law firms safe.
4) Marilyn Monroe's 1954 Chest X-ray that sold for $45,000. At the time she was 28 and had the x-ray take during a hospital visit where it's believe she had miscarried.
People collect strange things...let us continue....
5) John Lennon’s Toilet sold for $13,740 in 2010 as part of a Beatles Festival. Well I am sure Mr Lennon had several toilets in his lifetime but this one from his 1971 residence in Berkshire fetched quite a pretty penny, or pound....or euro ? Oh brexit...I am so confused.
Now, for something a little older....
6) A Lock of Lincoln's hair fetched $25,000 at an Auction in Dallas TX. It had purportedly been removed by The Surgeon General just after Lincoln's assassination in April of 1865. Here I've been paying someone to remove locks of my heair for years....
Okay, back to a little gross...at
7) A 74 Year Old William Shatner's Kidney Stone sold for $25,000 to GoldenPalace.com....they are the same wacky online casino that made news for buying a Dorito shaped like the Pope’s hat for over $1200 and the Virgin Mary Grilled Cheese for $70,000....talk about genius marketing though. We are still talking about them in conjunction with these sales, which is exactly what they want. What was that.....Goldenplace.com, I repeat...goldenplace.com !
This one is fun....
8) A 1954 letter written by Albert Einstein to philosopher Erik Gutkin sold for $3 million. Apparently the subject of the letter was Einstein's "questioning the existence of God" That would be a hell of a conversation to sit on, right. Throw the Dali Lama in there, and that's a party.
9) The Right to Name Someone's Baby..., that's right, in 2009, an unemployed 36 year old, about to give birth to her 7th child came up with the auction idea. Apparently the rights reached $6,800 after several attempts to auction, as eBay kept pulling the listings down. I don't see the harm in that one. This one, I guess i get....
My 10th and Final) A Florida Man, again on eBay, had bids over $5 and half Million on his auction item when eBay decided to pull it down too....what was it ? Just his Liver. 2 questions....1) why can't you sell your liver. Its yours. and 2) why do things like this always start of with "A Florida Man ?"
Okay...I'm done. I hope you enjoyed that blog post video as much as I liked writing / making it. If you did, there so much more to come and already on my blog and YouTube channel, so please subscribe !
Until next time !
Shopping Tip of the Week....Every Appraiser & Auction Aficionado Must Haves from Amazon as Recommended by Me....
LINKS TO STALK / FOLLOW JOSH
SUBSCRIBE to My YOUTUBE Channel: https://bit.ly/2PgAEPJ
My Website & Blog: https://www.joshlevinespeaks.com
Follow me on INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/joshlevinespeaks
Like me FACEBOOK page: https://www.facebook.com/joshlevinespeaks
Follow Me on PINTEREST - https://www.pinterest.com/jlevines1/
Follow Me on TUMBLR - https://joshlevinespeaks.tumblr.com/